Students explore the joys of creating and performing their own musical work, led by an ESO musician! Your “adopted” musician will visit your school and collaborate with teaching staff to guide students through the process of creating an original piece of music. Students then perform their composition on-stage at the Winspear Centre in April! Program runs from January to April 2018.
Participation is free of charge and is open to all Gr. 4-6 classes who attend an Education Concert in February. Up to ten classes are selected per year.
The teacher and musician collaborate to direct student learning:
- to discover and develop skills and abilities
- to encourage creativity
- to consider linking disciplines: music, art, drama, language, movement
- to compose an original work
- to rehearse and facilitate the group performance
Thanks to the generous financial support from the Winspear Centre and Edmonton Symphony Orchestra donors, each year ten schools benefit from this innovative program at no cost.
Selection Criteria & Considerations
- teachers must be willing to commit time and expertise to the program, and work in partnership with the musician
- school administrator and staff endorsement is an asset
- schedule flexibility is very helpful
- student participants must be registered for an Education Concert
- students are expected to participate in the Sharing Concert
- maximum group size is 32 students
Check back in September to apply for 2017/18!